Xenophobia: FG to Evacuate 83 Nigerians From South Africa Amid Fresh Anti-Immigrant Tensions

The Federal Government has announced plans to evacuate another 83 Nigerians from South Africa, with the returnees expected to arrive at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos, on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in a statement, said the Nigerians would return aboard a South African Airways flight departing the Oliver Tambo Airport in Johannesburg at about 3:35pm local time and scheduled to arrive in Lagos around 8:45pm.

The latest evacuation was made possible through the intervention of private individuals who sponsored the flight tickets. The ministry expressed appreciation to the individuals for stepping in to assist Nigerians affected by the situation.

The development comes after the Federal Government concluded its voluntary repatriation programme, which saw nearly 1,490 Nigerians return home from South Africa amid growing concerns over Afrophobic attacks, xenophobia and anti-foreigner sentiments.

According to the ministry, the government remains committed to protecting the welfare and dignity of Nigerians wherever they may be, in line with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration and its Citizen Diplomacy agenda.

The ministry also described Nigerians living abroad as important contributors to national development and urged the organised private sector, state governments, corporate organisations and other well-meaning Nigerians to support emergency consular interventions when necessary.

The statement said: “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is pleased to announce that a new batch of 83 Nigerian nationals will arrive at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos on Wednesday, August 19, 2026 via South African Airways.”

It added: “They are expected to depart the Oliver Tambo Airport in Johannesburg at 3.35pm local time to arrive Lagos at approximately 08.45pm the same day.”

The ministry further said the Federal Government would continue working with South Africa and other host countries to tackle the root causes of Afrophobia and prevent violence and discrimination against Nigerians.

South African Anti-Immigration Group Sets Fresh September 30 DeadlineMeanwhile, tensions over undocumented immigration in South Africa have taken another turn, with the anti-immigration group March and March announcing September 30 as a fresh deadline for undocumented foreigners to leave the country.

The group staged a protest in Durban on Tuesday, marching through parts of the city as leaders of the Southern African Development Community gathered for the 46th SADC Summit.March and March called on African leaders attending the summit to take back their citizens living in South Africa without legal documentation. The group had previously organised nationwide protests on June 30 and warned that it would continue its campaign until its demands were addressed.

Announcing its latest protest, the group said: “We are announcing the second wave of the 30 June National Day of Action and calling on the heads of state to prepare for the massive deportation of all illegal foreigners from South Africa by 30 September, which will be the mother of all protests.”

The group also called on South Africans to assist law enforcement agencies in identifying undocumented foreigners.The renewed agitation comes as South Africa hosts leaders from the 16 SADC member states in Durban. The issue of xenophobia and the treatment of foreign nationals has once again become a major talking point.

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa recently condemned discrimination and violence against citizens of other African countries, acknowledging the harm caused by such attacks.

“We are deeply ashamed that people from other countries have suffered ill-treatment and that others have been forced to leave the country because of threats of violence,” Ramaphosa said.

He added: “We cannot preach integration at a summit like this and practise exclusion on the streets of our countries.”

The latest developments have heightened concerns among Nigerians and other African nationals living in South Africa, particularly as anti-immigration groups continue to demand tougher action against undocumented foreigners.

For Nigeria, the evacuation of another 83 citizens highlights the growing diplomatic and security concerns surrounding the treatment of Nigerians in South Africa, even as both countries continue to navigate their longstanding bilateral relationship.

MacjayBloggs
MacjayBloggs
Articles: 737
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x